Anglo Saxon History

saxonhistory.co.uk
Map Position

This map is showing 'Roman Implied, Roman Actual named locations ' of type 'Roman City, Roman Town, Roman Villa, Roman Major Fort, Roman Station, Roman Port, Roman Bloomery' centered on 54.53339,-1.67219 in North Yorkshire.

Map Logic

This map shows Roman roads shown in black derived from Ivan D Margary 'Roman Roads in Britain' published in 1955. These maps are plotted as accurately as is possible from the books. There are problems with mapping 50 years later as there have been significant road and town changes which have hidden some of the original places mentioned in the texts.

The red roads are derived from Ivan D Margary 'Roman ways in the Weald' published in 1948.

Major Roman locations are shown as icons, please click the icon for the modern location and its Roman name.

This map shows the Roman Road course described by Ivan D Margary as 8c which goes from Catterick Bridge - Binchester(Catterick Bridge - Binchester)commonly known as 'Dere Street'.

Icon Key:
Roman City
Roman Station

8c - Catterick Bridge to Binchester
(Catterick Bridge to Binchester)
commonly known as 'Dere Street'

Ivan D Margary Roman Road 8c starting near Richmond in North Yorkshire ending near Bishop Auckland in County Durham ....

This route passes through the following locations.
Richmond  North Yorkshire
Darlington  Darlington
Bishop Auckland  County Durham
Current translation for Richmond
  rich derived from rice - powerful ruler
  mond derived from mund - a mound
Place name translation provided by saxonhistory.co.uk
Current translation for Darlington
  darl derived from dæl - a dale
  ing derived from ænge - troubled or narrow(possibly fortified border/boundary villages)
  ton derived from tƿrn - a high place. Usually a village or a location originally settled on hills.
Place name translation provided by saxonhistory.co.uk
Current translation for Bishop Auckland
  bishop derived from bisceop - land owned by a bishop
  auck derived from aac - oak
  land derived from land - ground, earth or field
Place name translation provided by saxonhistory.co.uk
 
Locations Shown on map
Original Name Current Name
Roman Station
Cataractoni Roman Station Modern name is Catterick
Roman City
East Corn Park Roman City 
Roman City
Roper Castle or Round Table (Roman Signal Station) Roman City 
Roman City
Round Table or Roper Castle (Roman Signal Station) Roman City 
Roman Station
Vinovia Roman Station Modern name is Binchester


External References in no particular order :-
Original Manuscripts of the Anglo Saxon Chronicles
Online Anglo Saxon dictionary
Online Etymology dictionary
Open Domesday Book - The first free online copy of the Domesday Book
The Ermine Street Guard Roman re-enactment and research Society
The "Kent A" cadastre - page 5 - Peterson 2002
Archaeologia Cantiana Online
Romney Marsh Research Trust
Romney Marsh the Fifth Continent
VillageNet the reference guide to villages in Kent & Sussex
Global warming Flood Maps
The Anglo Saxon Chronicles
Google Maps - the core of the system
GeoPlaner - Useful site for plotting map data
Julius Caesar's Gallic Wars 55BC(Books 4 & 5)
Wikipedia - Caesar's invasions of Britain
Wikipedia - Portus Istus
The Geography of Claudius Ptolemy (Bill Thayers)
Roman Britain.org
Runetree Beowulf
Bayeux Tapestry Online
The Secrets of the Norman Invasion
Chronicles of John of Worcester
Battle Historic Society
Binsted village website(Mearcredesburnan Steðe)
The Spears of Andred
Find British Archaelogical Sites
Wealden Iron Research Group

 

Copyright saxonhistory.co.uk 2013 - 2019
Contact me
Author: Simon M - Last Updated: 08/04/2019 14:01
All pages on our site
Data is derived from a number or sources including the Ordnance Survey Gazetter data overlayed onto Google Maps